SoftCut: A Virtual Planning Tool for Soft Tissue Resection on CT Images
Resection of soft tissue is commonly performed in head and neck cancer surgery. By removing the tumour, a defect in the face is created consisting of dfferent tissue layers (e.g., skin, fat, muscle, or bone). To reconstruct this defect it is usually needed to transplant vascularised tissue from other parts of the body, typically the thigh. To enhance the quality and precision of the reconstruction, it is necessary to have an accurate estimation of the shape, dimension, and volume of the defect after the resection. We have developed a surgical planning software that can help the surgeons estimate the size and shape of a soft tissue resection, based on patient-specfic computed tomography (CT) data.
|Figure 1: One-minute video of SoftCut usage.|
Oral presentation at the 22nd Conference on Medical Image Understanding and Analysis (MIUA 2018).
SoftCut: A Virtual Planning Tool for Soft Tissue Resection on CT Images, L. Blache, et al., Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS), Springer Verlag, 2018.
- Ludovic Blache, PostDoc, Centre for Image Analysis
- Andres Rodriguez Lorenzo, MD, Dept. of Surgical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital
- Filip Malmberg, Docent, Centre for Image Analysis
- Fredrik Nysjö, PhD student, Centre for Image Analysis
- Ingela Nyström, Professor, Centre for Image Analysis (Director)
- Andreas Thor, MD, Dept. of Surgical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital